I have written about this topic in the past, but it always seems to be a topic in demand so I have compiled the top tips again for all those consumers wondering about selling this summer and fall.
1) Is your home show ready? If you are not sure if your home has the WOW factor when a buyer walks through it, get someone to help you get it ready. Have someone walk through your home with a buyer’s eye and give you critical feedback. A Realtor can tell you which home improvement projects will help to sell your home for top dollar. A stager may also be useful to help you understand what looks good, what looks cluttered, and what needs to go.
2) If you are going to do home improvement projects, get them done well in advance. Which improvement projects you do really depends on your budget. If you have some money to spend, then use that to remodel kitchens and baths. Those areas of your home will be a good investment and will get you the most “bang” for your buck. If you only have a small budget, then new paint always makes a home shine. Updating your flooring or carpet can also be inexpensive and will make a home show much better, which in turn leads to a quicker sale at a higher price.
3) Price it correctly right from the start. Your best chance to sell your home is in the first 30 days. Price it too high and it will sit on the market with people beginning to wonder what’s wrong with it. Price it too low and you may leave money on the table. Use the expertise of a Realtor to make sure that you walk this fine line and get results right away.
4) You’ll need great marketing. This is the only part of the equation that a Realtor controls. Sellers control the price and how the property shows. A wise seller chooses a Realtor with great marketing expertise. That professional should be able to drive a lot of potential buyers to the property through their marketing efforts. This, in turn, should sell the property quickly and at a higher price if the seller has done items number one and three above.
5) Clean, Clean, and Clean. You cannot say enough about the value of a clean and tidy house. It helps the home show so much better and gives buyers a good feeling that the sellers have taken good care of the property. If your home looks like a tornado hit it before a showing, you are sending a message to the buyers that you don’t care if the home sells.