More and more realtors, as well as consumers, are using social networking these days as a way to market and sell properties. I am sure that by now, you have heard about Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, Foursquare, and many others.
For most consumers as well as realtors, it can be overwhelming as well as confusing, but it is a must in going forward if you are buying and selling homes in this web 2.0 real estate world. It’s not enough just to have a profile on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You need to know how to leverage it, use it for marketing, and drive traffic. In the case of Twitter, people have to first learn the Twitter language before they can effectively use it and use it well. Most of all, once you have all of these profiles, you must have a marketing strategy on how to use them. Here is what I do and this may work for you as well.
I spend 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night on social networking and I follow this simple formula:
1. I make three comments on other people’s posts in Facebook.
2. I check my twitter account and reply to any @ mentions and direct messages. I then re-tweet three items of interest.
3. On Linkedin, I post my status update (connect that with twitter), respond to any messages in my inbox, check my groups, and comment on one discussion.
4. Last but not least, I open up Hootsuite, share three links on twitter (scheduled two hours part) and share three links on Facebook (scheduled two hours apart).
5. I repeat the exact method above later that night.
Move fast; you don’t need to get bogged down in social networking and have it take away time from all the other things you need to do. Remember that the majority of people are finding out about homes for sale through the internet and that’s why this is so important. Do not use this as your sole method for selling a home, but use it to compliment the other activities that you are already doing.
Dan Polimino is a Realtor with Fuller Sotheby’s International Realty. He can be reached at DPolimino@fullerproperties.com and www.coloradodreamhouse.com/denverpost