I am sure that there are a lot of ways to select a real estate agent. For example, some people like to hire an agent that has sold a lot of properties in that particular neighborhood, others like to hire friends, while others look for referrals of a good agent to hire.
Whatever your means for deciding which real estate agent is right for you, I think that most people go through a selection process, and I think the process goes something like this:
1) Like Them. Most people want to feel comfortable with the person they are hiring, and that usually starts with liking the person. In some cases, the client already knows something about the Realtor and probably LIKES them first before even calling them.
2) Know Them. If a client likes a particular Realtor but does not know much about them, then chances are they will start doing some research. They may Google them, ask about them from other people who have done business with them, or even invite them for a meeting to get to know them better.
3) Trust Them. Trusting the Realtor comes after liking and knowing the Realtor. If a client likes you and now trusts you, then there is a good chance that the Realtor will get the job.
4) Pay Them. Once the Realtor has the job and succeeds in selling the house, then the client pays the Realtor. I know this sounds fairly obvious, but every seller wants to feel that the Realtor did a good job and brought value to the equation. Regardless of the amount of money that the seller paid to the Realtor, experience is a factor; if it was a good experience, then chances are they will be using his or her services again.
5) Refer Them. That brings us to the last point wherein the Realtor wants to be referred. After all, that’s how most agents gain their business. To be honest, I believe that most people would like to refer their Realtor. It’s always nice to be able to help others and say, “Oh you’re thinking about selling your home? You must call my Realtor.” This only happens if you have selected the right Realtor by going through all the steps above.
Dan Polimino is an Owner/Broker with Keller Williams Realty DTC. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org