Here we are, just two weeks from the start of the selling season in Colorado. While it may not look like spring yet, buyers and sellers should be gearing up. April 1st through July 31st is the best time to sell a home in Colorado. Soon your lawns will be green, flowers will be planted, the weather will be perfect, and buyers will be out en masse. With a little more than two weeks to go before the start of the season, here is a short list of what you should do to be prepared if you are in the market.
1) Make sure your home is show ready.
2) Does it need a fresh coat of paint? Or do you just need to get the scuff marks off the wall? Start the project list and complete it.
3) De-clutter. Move some of that furniture into storage and take some of the knick-knacks with it. Remember, buyers need to see themselves living in your home. They are not there to see all things IN your home.
4) Clean, clean, and clean again. A house that looks like it has been well kept and cared for will always sell.
5) Meet with a real estate agent as soon as possible to talk about how long it will take to sell your home, at what price, the competition in the market, and what you can expect from his or her services.
1) Make sure that you have started your homework; and for many, that begins with speaking to a lender. What can you afford to buy? What does it take to get qualified, and what can you expect?
2) If you are thinking of buying, chances are you have been looking at homes online. Do you know what areas you would like to live in? What you can buy in those areas? Have you refined your wants and needs list?
3) Meet with a real estate agent. There is no doubt that a real estate professional will help make your home buying experience so much smoother and happier.
4) Refine your search, get out, view homes, go to open houses, and drive around neighborhoods.
Finally, for both buyers and sellers, remember that buying and selling a home should be a pleasant experience. It’s not about who wins or losses; if you can keep the word “compromise” in the forefront, then chances are it will be a smooth transaction for everyone involved.
Dan Polimino is an Owner/Broker with Keller Williams Realty DTC. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org