In 1999, my business partner, Gary Lohrman, and 11 other Realtors came together to start a new brokerage firm called Fuller Towne and Country. They decided to build the business with two simple principles in mind. First, create a place and atmosphere where they wanted to work and have fun. Second, treat other agents joining the team as if they were their own clients. What the owners realized early on was that the brokerage firm is “the agents”. If you wanted to be successful, you better treat those agents well, give them all the resources they need, always let them know how important they are and how much you care about them. When I came into the real estate business, I knew that I wanted to work at Fuller Towne and Country. Everyone seemed to want to work there. They had built a reputation in the Realtor community for being one of the best places to work. In essence, they built an amazing culture and in less than 10 years, had several offices with 140 plus agents with over a billion dollars in sales.
When Gary and I opened the luxury division at Keller Williams, we decided very early on that we were going to follow the same recipe that made him and his colleagues so successful. We were going back to basics. We were going to partner with agents whom we really liked, really respected, and wanted to do business with. Our vision was to treat these agents like our clients. We wanted to create a culture just like the one I described above. I am happy to say that we have accomplished this in a short amount of time because we have followed our core beliefs:
- We believe that your family is first and everything else comes second. Make sure that you are taking care of the most important people in your life first. At the end of the day, this is just real estate. It’s what you do, not necessarily who you are.
- We think that agents should take one day off a week. Everyone deserves to have a life, recharge their batteries, and spend time with people whom they love. I have been taking Sundays off for over two years now and I have doubled my business.
- We believe that we should do what we say, on the day and time we say we are going to do it.
- We believe that we should do business the right way, the first time, hold each other accountable, and support each other in all endeavors.
- We believe in consistently checking in with the agents working in the division to see how they are doing, how we are doing as a group, and what we can do better for all involved.
- We believe that you should not work for a company, but have the company work for you through profit sharing.
- We believe that you should have a team or system set up for you so you can focus on what you really like to do and less on what you don’t.
- Finally, we believe that there should never be a situation where you pay a brokerage firm a portion of your commission forever.
These are some of our core values that guide us in this business. I think we have something special going on here. If you do, too, and want to explore what it that looks like, maybe we should have lunch.
I hope all of you have a tremendous spring/summer-selling season.
P.S. We have always enjoyed a terrific working relationship with all of our real estate colleagues. We look forward to continuing that camaraderie, cooperation, and mutual respect.
Start your Colorado Dream Home Search now!